12 October, 2015
Sweet short crust(with almond meal)
This short crust is especially good for lemon tarts, mince pies but is suitable for any sweet tart. This uses same ingredients as the basic sweet short crust along with some almond meal and lemon zest. Thus it has a subtle flavour improvement which is quite nice with dessert tarts and pies.
- 280g flour
- 30g ground almonds
- 170g cold butter cubes
- 85g caster sugar
- Zest of ½ a lemon
- Egg yolk
- 3 tbsp. milk
- Place flour almond meal in a glass bowl.
- Add the butter in and rub in to the flour, until it resembles bread crumbs.
- Mix the lemon zest and sugar.
- Mix the egg yolk and milk together and add to the mixture.
- Work slowly to bring the dough together.
- Place the dough on a floured surface and knead lightly for few seconds until smooth.
- Wrap and let it rest for 15 minutes. If kitchen is warm, place in the refrigerator.
- Then roll out on a floured surface and use as desired.
- Unbaked pie, tart shells can be frozen.
- Wrap the tray with plastic and place in the freezer.
- If the pastry is too soft to handle, place it in the fridge for a few minutes.
- Enough pastry for 20 mini pie cases.