12 September, 2015
Perfect buttery puff pastry.
Write a review
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups butter
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup water
- Sift flour into a big bowl. Add salt and 1 teaspoon of butter and rub in with fingers until butter is incorporated.
- Add lime juice and half of the water and start mixing, until a dough is developed.
- Keep adding water as you go to form a soft dough.
- Let the dough rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the hard butter between two parchment papers and roll using a rolling pin.
- Get the butter to half an inch thickness and roughly rectangular shape.
- After dough is rested, place the dough on a floured surface and roll out to a bigger thinner rectangular shape.
- Place the butter in the centre of the dough and fold from four sides to seal the butter.
- Roll in to a rectangle. Fold to centre overlapping the edges.
- Wrap in cling wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Take out and roll out along the length, in to a rectangle. Fold back similar to above method.
- Repeat this for about 4-6 times, resting 20 minutes between folds. (If the weather is cold, you can do two folds in one go)
- After the last fold, divide the dough in to manageable sizes, and roll out in to thick sheets.
- If storing, place each sheet between parchment papers, seal in a freezer bag and freeze.
- If using immediately, refrigerate sheets for 10-15 minutes before rolling out to desired thickness.
- Work in a cool environment and use a cold surface to roll the dough.
- Makes 3 sheets.
Voddy's Kitchen http://voddyskitchen.com.au/