14 March, 2016
Lemony desserts are one of my favourites to make and eat. They are sweet and tangy at the same time and something you can always dig in to irrespective of your mood.
I always have a bucketful of lemons sitting on my counter top. I start the day with a warm glass of water with half a lemon squeezed in. I am so addicted to this now, that I never let lemons run out. So whenever I feel like making a desserts, lemon squares or tart is the best bet. They are supper easy to make and will be ready in less than an hour.
This recipe uses a shortbread style base which is supper easy to make. You can pre-bake the base ahead of time and keep it air tight until needed. If you have a base ready, it’s just a matter of whipping up a few ingredients together and you’ve got a dessert ready.
I have tried the base with biscuit crumbs and it worked to a certain extent. The biscuit base is bit too soft than a baked crust so the mixture tends to soak through. But the taste is the same and I think I like that chunky texture over a crust some times. However a crust is always fail proof. You can either remove the foil, before filling the mixture. I do this sometimes, so it’s more presentable. If you pre-bake the base a day ahead, make sure to warm the base in the oven for a few minutes. A warm base help the filling to infuse so that it bakes in to a one single piece without the filling being separated while baking.
I always use freshly squeezed lemon juice for best results. And also add zest of two whole lemons. When mixing the lemon zest, make sure to toss them together with sugar. Sugar helps extract all those citrus flavours from the zest, which adds a wow factor to the slice.
Cut in to squares and sprinkle some snow sugar to serve.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 180g butter
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp. corn flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 3 tbsp. flour
- Zest of two lemons
- Freshly squeezed juice of 4 lemons
- 80 ml milk
- Pinch of salt
- Snow sugar to decorate (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180ºC.
- Line an 8 by 12 pan with foil.
- To make the base, cut the butter in to cubes and add in to the flour.
- Rub until it represents bread crumbs.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix.
- Place the crumb mixture on the tray and spread evenly and press until it creates a firm base.
- Bake for 15-30 minutes until lightly browned.
- Make the filling by whisking eggs and sugar together.
- Then add the flour and mix until clump free.
- Then add the lemon juice and salt and mix well.
- Pour the mixture on to the base and bake at 160ºC for 20 minutes or until set.
- Let cool on a wire rack.
- Cut in to squares and sprinkle with snow sugar to serve.
- Last a few days refrigerated in an air tight container.