3 January, 2015
There is nothing like home made lemon curd. Thick creamy sweet and tangy spread that is so versatile that it is a staple in many households. I love anything that has lemon in it and lemon curd is my favourite thing to make when I have excess lemons at hand.
It can be used as a spread on toast on biscuits or biscotti. It can also be used as a filling for tarts or decorate desserts. I use lemon curd whenever I want something to cut through a supper sweet dessert.
Varying the amount of lemon juice you incorporate will intensify or mellow down the tanginess. It is supper easy to make and can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- Juice of three lemons
- Zest of two lemons
- 1 cup sugar
- 125g butter chopped
- 3 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- Whisk eggs, egg yolk, sugar and zest until smooth.
- Place in a heavy based saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the lemon juice and butter.
- Stir until all butter is melted and sugar is dissolved.
- Then whisk the mixture until it thickens up and boils.
- This can take about 10 minutes.
- Let boil for few seconds and make sure to stir all the while.
- Take off the heat and pass through a sieve to get rid of lumpy bits.
- Let cool and store in the refrigerator in a glass jar.