20 April, 2015
Lemon and coconut cupcakes
This cupcake is so light and airy with a hint of lemon and the subtle coconut flavour in the frosting complements the moist cake underneath. I have used the basic vanilla buttercream as the base and added coconut flavour on top of it.
Can be made a day ahead and assembled closer to serving. Store frosting in fridge and simply whip again until fluffy.
- 200g flour
- 200g castor sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 120g butter at room temperature
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Zest of a lemon
- 1/2 cup lemon curd
- Toasted shredded coconut (optional)
- 2 cups vanilla butter cream
- 1/2 cup coconut milk powder
- 2 tbsp. milk
- Preheat oven to 170 °C. Line a muffin tray with cupcake liners.
- Mix flour, baking powder and zest in a large bowl and set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar until creamy. Add one egg at a time clearing after each addition.
- Gradually add the flour mixture and fold through or mix on low speed.
- Add vanilla and fold to combine.
- Fill muffin cups evenly and bake for about 20 minutes or until a inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Let the cupcakes cool on a wire rack.
- For the frosting, beat vanilla butter cream and coconut milk powder on high speed. Add 1-2 tsp. of milk to loosen the frosting.
- Once the cupcakes are completely cooled, scoop out a bit from the centre and fill with ½ tsp. lemon curd and pipe coconut buttercream. Finish off with a sprinkle of toasted coconuts.
- Find basic vanilla buttercream recipe under Spreads 'n Fillings