20 April, 2015
Chocolate & raspberry cupcakes
This chocolate cake is moist, airy and fluffy as it uses sour cream, just strong enough to hold the frosting. Melts in mouth and so decadent. I have used the basic vanilla buttercream as the base and added raspberry preserve to create this frosting.
Chocolate and raspberry is a classic combination and that sour raspberry centre bursts out as you bite in to the cake which cuts through the richness, balancing flavours, just right.
- 50g cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 180g flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter at room temperature
- 200g sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup raspberry preserve
- Half a slab of lindt raspberry chocolate (optional)
- 2 cups vanilla buttercream
- 1/3 cups raspberry preserve
- Preheat oven to 170 °C. Line a muffin tray with cupcake liners.
- In a saucepan, over low heat, melt butter. Add cocoa, vanilla, cream and stir until smooth. Let it to cool down.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking soda and set aside.
- Pour sour cream in to a bowl and beat in eggs. To this egg mixture add the chocolate mixture whisking continuously.
- Fold in the flour mixture carefully. Do not over mix.
- Fill the cake liners and bake for 20 minutes or until done.
- Let the cupcakes cool down completely.
- To make frosting, add 1/3 cups of raspberry preserve to vanilla butter cream and mix just until combined leaving traces.
- Make a well in the centre of each cupcake and fill with 1/2 teaspoon raspberry preserve and pipe butter cream on top.
- Decorate with a piece of raspberry chocolate.
- Find basic vanilla buttercream recipe under Spreads 'n Fillings