18 December, 2015
Chocolate & coffee muffins
This is my favourite chocolate muffin. Doesn’t take 5 minutes to prepare and no machines or special tools needed. Just the right recipe when your chocolate cake craving hits. The cake is so moist, chocolaty and the coffee really enhances the chocolate flavour.
You can use any vegetable oil. Sometimes I do replace half of that oil with melted butter, just to make it more flavourful. All these ingredients can be mixed in two bowl and hence, very little washing or cleaning up. The trick to fluffy cake, is not to over mix the batter. Over mixing results in a tough cake, which I learnt the hard way.
You can throw in some chocolate chips if you want. But I like mine just plain because it already tastes so good and I don’t feel like I need to waste more chocolate.
Use a good quality cocoa powder as it is the main ingredient that makes or breaks the deal. As for the coffee, use your favourite instant coffee. Adjust the quantity depending on how strong your coffee is.
I have used medium cupcake liners, but you can use café style muffin covers and fill more batter. I personally like to make them in small sizes.
- 1 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. instant coffee
- Preheat oven to 180 °C and line muffin tray (12).
- Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Warm 1/2 cup water and dissolve coffee and let cool.
- Beat the egg lightly and add to the flour mixture followed by coffee, oil and milk.
- Stir only until everything is incorporated.
- Pour the batter in to prepared muffin cups and bake for about 25 minutes.
- Check with a skewer, at 20 minutes mark.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Do not over mix the batter