28 February, 2016
When chocolate cravings hit, there are no short cuts but to surrender and indulge yourself in some good quality chocolate cake. I find it is easier and assuring to whip up your favourite chocolate cake at the comfort of your own home than taking all the trouble to carry yourself to a café and (most of the time) end up disappointed of all the worthless calories you just put in by eating an average cake.
This is my fool proof old fashioned chocolate cake which I prefer to frost with chocolate ganache instead of butter cream for an added wow factor. Ganache itself is rich, thick and creamy which is perfect to be spread over this moist and soft chocolate cake. Also I love using ganache over buttercream as it reduce the sweetness which is great. I don’t like super sweet cakes and especially when it is a chocolate cake, I like to highlight chocolate.
Sometimes, I use black coffee to dissolve the cocoa instead of water and that really bring out the chocolate flavour.
When incorporating flour, make sure not to over mix as it will produce a dense cake. You need a fluffy cake here because the ganache is already thick and rich.
It’s a good idea to make the frosting ganache few hours earlier and refrigerate of previous day so that it is set to the perfect consistency to spread. I was impatient and couldn’t wait till my ganache is set, so it was a bit runny, but it is chocolate anyway.
Pouring ganache should be made at the last minute for a nice and smooth covering. Wait until the ganache is set to cut the cake. But from the photos you will notice that I hadn’t been so patient. Yes this smells so good you just have to dig in as soon as you finish assembling.
This cake is best eaten at room temperature. Can be refrigerated for a few days. Thaw for a few minutes before serving for a moist mouth-feel.
- 225g flour
- 250g sugar
- 25g cocoa powder
- 200g butter
- 3 eggs
- 11/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- 200g chocolate (dark or milk)
- 100g cream
- 250g dark chocolate
- 250g cream
- Preheat oven to 180°C and prepare a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Dissolve cocoa powder in boiling water let cool to blood temperature.
- Sift flour along with baking powder and baking soda and set aside.
- Cream butter, sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add one egg at a time clearing after each addition.
- Then mix in the chocolate and mix on law speed to combine.
- Fold the flour in to the batter without over mixing.
- Once the batter is ready, pour in to the baking tray and bake for about 35 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven when ready and allow to sit for a few minutes.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Make frosting and pouring ganache according to directions found under spreads and fillings section.
- Split the cake and sandwich using ganache.
- Refrigerate for a few minutes.
- Then pour the runny ganache and let it set at room temperature.
- Garnish with remaining frosting ganache if you prefer.
- Store at room temperature an airtight container for a day and refrigerate for up to a week. Thaw before serving.